single@SG
Welcome to Singles @ SG. Hope you enjoy your stay over here.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

single@SG
Welcome to Singles @ SG. Hope you enjoy your stay over here.
single@SG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» Earl Nightingale The Miracle of Your Mind COMPLETE
VINCENT WIJEYSINGHA RESIGNS FROM SDP TO BE MORE INVOLVED IN LGBT ISSUES EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 2:37 am by makimwa

» Interesting GIF
VINCENT WIJEYSINGHA RESIGNS FROM SDP TO BE MORE INVOLVED IN LGBT ISSUES EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 1:28 pm by Hello我猜我猜我猜猜猜!

» come join us for badminton game at bt gombak sports hall.
VINCENT WIJEYSINGHA RESIGNS FROM SDP TO BE MORE INVOLVED IN LGBT ISSUES EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 8:56 am by roni here

» CLIMATE CHANGE: IPCC ISSUES STARK WARNING OVER GLOBAL WARMING
VINCENT WIJEYSINGHA RESIGNS FROM SDP TO BE MORE INVOLVED IN LGBT ISSUES EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 3:14 pm by Darkmen

» HOMELESS IN SINGAPORE’S ISLAND PARADISE
VINCENT WIJEYSINGHA RESIGNS FROM SDP TO BE MORE INVOLVED IN LGBT ISSUES EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 3:12 pm by Darkmen

» JEM ACCIDENT IS DUE TO POOR QUALITY FT NOT TIGHTENING OF FT POLICY!
VINCENT WIJEYSINGHA RESIGNS FROM SDP TO BE MORE INVOLVED IN LGBT ISSUES EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 10:53 am by Darkmen

» Imagine a life without the PAP
VINCENT WIJEYSINGHA RESIGNS FROM SDP TO BE MORE INVOLVED IN LGBT ISSUES EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 4:49 am by Darkmen

» WHAT AN OPPOSITION MEMBER SHOULD DO AND SAY TO WIN SWING VOTERS OVER
VINCENT WIJEYSINGHA RESIGNS FROM SDP TO BE MORE INVOLVED IN LGBT ISSUES EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 4:23 am by Darkmen

» PAP half-heartedly cleaning up the mess they started?
VINCENT WIJEYSINGHA RESIGNS FROM SDP TO BE MORE INVOLVED IN LGBT ISSUES EmptySat Sep 21, 2013 6:01 pm by Darkmen

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 181 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:09 am

VINCENT WIJEYSINGHA RESIGNS FROM SDP TO BE MORE INVOLVED IN LGBT ISSUES

Go down

VINCENT WIJEYSINGHA RESIGNS FROM SDP TO BE MORE INVOLVED IN LGBT ISSUES Empty VINCENT WIJEYSINGHA RESIGNS FROM SDP TO BE MORE INVOLVED IN LGBT ISSUES

Post by Darkmen Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The SDP is sad to announce the resignation of Dr Vincent Wijeysingha from the party. Dr Wijeysingha has expressed his desire to get more involved in LGBT and other human rights issues, and that he finds it more effective to do it as an activist in the civil society arena.

While the SDP is disappointed at this outcome, we understand and fully support Dr Wijeysingha's position. Our loss is civil society's gain. We know that Dr Wijeysingha will carry on his work with honesty and courage. The Party has benefited immensely from his keen intellect, and we will miss his participation and contribution.

We wish Vincent the very best in all his endeavours.

Jufrie Mahmood
Chairman
Singapore Democratic Party

Below is a Facebook status update published by Vincent:

Letter from Vincent Wijeysingha

Dear Friends,

My Facebook post about my sexuality attracted some debate on LGBT rights. The shape of the discussion shows there is misunderstanding of these issues, primarily because of lack of mainstream access to appropriate information. Misunderstanding leads to discrimination that works its way into the lives of LGBT people, resulting in anguish and distress.

I believe that, as a nation, we have a limited appreciation of civil liberties: they have not penetrated deeply into our civic discourse and public administration. There is a great deal of work ahead if we are to achieve the full range of our fundamental liberties.

During the last three years that I have been a member of the Singapore Democratic Party, I have been engaged in social and economic bread-and-butter policy issues. I hope I have contributed in some small way. But after reflection and consultation with friends and colleagues, I have come to believe that I should participate in the more intangible but no less important work to promote our civil liberties.

Therefore, I would like to inform you that I have taken the difficult decision to resign my membership of the SDP in order to explore how I can be of service to the wider cause of our civil liberties, a project which I believe to be the dominant mission of this present period.

I continue to share deeply the values of the party which gave me a political home and the opportunity to learn an ideal of service which I have tried to carry out. I intend to explore ways in which I can honour those values in the civil liberties sphere.

I have discussed my decision extensively with party leaders who have given me their blessing. I would like to ask you also to support me in this decision.

Dr Vincent Wijeysingha
Source: YourSDP.org
Darkmen
Darkmen
ironmen
ironmen

Back to top Go down