single@SG
Welcome to Singles @ SG. Hope you enjoy your stay over here.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

single@SG
Welcome to Singles @ SG. Hope you enjoy your stay over here.
single@SG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» Earl Nightingale The Miracle of Your Mind COMPLETE
I WONDER HOW OUR NEXT 2 GENERATIONS ARE GOING TO OWN HOMES EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 2:37 am by makimwa

» Interesting GIF
I WONDER HOW OUR NEXT 2 GENERATIONS ARE GOING TO OWN HOMES EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 1:28 pm by Hello我猜我猜我猜猜猜!

» come join us for badminton game at bt gombak sports hall.
I WONDER HOW OUR NEXT 2 GENERATIONS ARE GOING TO OWN HOMES EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 8:56 am by roni here

» CLIMATE CHANGE: IPCC ISSUES STARK WARNING OVER GLOBAL WARMING
I WONDER HOW OUR NEXT 2 GENERATIONS ARE GOING TO OWN HOMES EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 3:14 pm by Darkmen

» HOMELESS IN SINGAPORE’S ISLAND PARADISE
I WONDER HOW OUR NEXT 2 GENERATIONS ARE GOING TO OWN HOMES EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 3:12 pm by Darkmen

» JEM ACCIDENT IS DUE TO POOR QUALITY FT NOT TIGHTENING OF FT POLICY!
I WONDER HOW OUR NEXT 2 GENERATIONS ARE GOING TO OWN HOMES EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 10:53 am by Darkmen

» Imagine a life without the PAP
I WONDER HOW OUR NEXT 2 GENERATIONS ARE GOING TO OWN HOMES EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 4:49 am by Darkmen

» WHAT AN OPPOSITION MEMBER SHOULD DO AND SAY TO WIN SWING VOTERS OVER
I WONDER HOW OUR NEXT 2 GENERATIONS ARE GOING TO OWN HOMES EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 4:23 am by Darkmen

» PAP half-heartedly cleaning up the mess they started?
I WONDER HOW OUR NEXT 2 GENERATIONS ARE GOING TO OWN HOMES EmptySat Sep 21, 2013 6:01 pm by Darkmen

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 181 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:09 am

I WONDER HOW OUR NEXT 2 GENERATIONS ARE GOING TO OWN HOMES

Go down

I WONDER HOW OUR NEXT 2 GENERATIONS ARE GOING TO OWN HOMES Empty I WONDER HOW OUR NEXT 2 GENERATIONS ARE GOING TO OWN HOMES

Post by Darkmen Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:27 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Everyone aspires to own their own home and most people will want to get married and bring up their children within a sufficiently-sized livable space in a private home or flat (not shoebox condominiums created due to high land costs purchased by developers). Most children, i.e. the next generation of citizens/residents, will likely stay with their parents till their late teens or early twenties, or a period of approximately two decades. A shoebox unit will not be healthy or suitable for children or young adults.

Economic progress is important, especially for Singapore which has practically no natural resources. I have been very lucky to live in Singapore for the last twenty plus years and brought up my family staying in a reasonably priced 5-room HDB resale flat from 1995 (S$275,000), and had the chance to progress to private property from the year 2000.

However, I noticed that our property prices have doubled or tripled in some cases resulting in demand from speculators/investors locally and abroad who are focussing on making a quick profit from a property flip here. In the last five years, a large number of property purchasers have been foreigners, PRs and locals alike. Many purchases were not just for own stay but are also for quick profit or asset appreciation. Everyone wants a piece of the “action”.

I am quite concerned that a small country with limited space for liveable housing is able to have property prices appreciate beyond what I call its “true value” and bordering on a “bubble”, or in some cases may have already reached that situation. One example is a two-storey shophouse in Jalan Besar which was priced at around S$1.9 million to S$2.2 million five years ago, but is now selling for around S$6 million to S$6.5 million. I wonder what is the fair value when the rental yield after deduction of expenses, e.g. property taxes is only about two percent because its price does not reflect the high selling price in terms of location and return on investment.

Sometimes I wonder how our next two generations or the majority of the less well-off or middle-income families are going to own their own homes when very often they end up having to service high property loan instalments over a lifetime, or possibly up to their children’s generation if property prices are very high.

I really hope we won’t wait for history to repeat itself in the form of a propety boom and bust cycle. It is better to eat “bitter” medicine now to prevent a property bubble than to face its full force later when many will not be able to survive the crisis.

Very Concerned,
Mr Lee T.O.

* Letter first appeared in: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Darkmen
Darkmen
ironmen
ironmen

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum